Friday, July 20, 2012

Funny, funny pup

This boy is beyond cute! Marmaduke is a young boy, playful but always gentle. He's considerate of the hounds and people around him, which is super nice in such a big boy.

He spent much of his first three days with us in his crate where he feels safe, but he loves people so much he couldn't stay there forever. Treats when he ventured out and an open crate door allowing him to freely move in and out have encouraged him to spend more time outside the crate than in. He now spends most of his day beside me in his bed. He's interested in being a part of the pack so where we go, he follows. Last night, I thought he might sleep in the bedroom with us on his bed. He had a terrible time deciding whether to stay in the crate or stay with me. I am pretty sure that he'll be in his bed with us tonight.

He's a curious boy: So far he's sampled my coffee from the table (hated it), and, before I had time to sit on the bed, he joined me there to try it out. His leg needs more time to heal, so Ethan and I had to assist him down.

His leash manners are improving daily. He's pulling less and easier to direct, and he's gaining confidence outside. He understands to remain outside the kitchen and joins the other dogs just where the carpet meets the kitchen floor. When he needs to potty, he whines to let you know and he's found some good potty spots so he doesn't take as long to go as he did early on.

Marmaduke loves to eat and he takes treats carefully. He loves hugs and kisses more than any hound I've ever met. He nestles against me, and lavishes in the affection, gentle talk, and massages.

I posted before that I was not sure if Marmaduke was apprehensive about new situations or if the great number of changes he'd experienced were just quite challenging for him. His very quick acclimation to our home and his interest in bonding while also spending time alone in his bed convince me that he does not lack confidence. He will benefit from a longer period of stability for a while, but he warms up really well.




More next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment